2.2.07

on a growing impulse to go

I heard a voice over the din of the cafeteria and the rumble of the chapel, over the iPod headphones in my ear–over it all–I heard a voice saying, "Go! Go! Go!"

And, I spend the considerable portion of my energy resisting the desire to withdraw. It is not hesitance toward going. No, it is the responsibility–the grown-up impulse–to remain here. To be here is to be present with the twenty-four hundred other people and believe in the worship songs before prayer in chapel.

–I am not gone yet, I repeat to myself to the tune of a contemporary chorus. –Give it three more months, then go, go, go!

4 comments:

stephen said...

Uganda, eh? I got the news from Dad. Felicitaciones. And I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Mikkele Suzanne said...

i hear that voice a lot too....

Chuck said...

We'll be going together buddy. Different places... maybe same shit... but we'll be going...

travis said...

joel, i found you via mikkele's blog. just wanted to let you know that on your final xanga entry your link to your blogspot was spelled incorrectly. it linked me to alongwindeddiscouse (minus the 'r'). just a little fyi. also, i have felt that voice for two years and i greatly regret that i did not apply to do hngr. take advantage of the amazing opportunity. be sure to put me on your bulk email list if you do that sort of thing whilst in uganda.