6.8.08

on a tremendous rain

and, the streets will run like rivers. when they do, we'll trade our cars for makeshift rafts made out of responsibilities and couch cushions; we'll name first mates and captains and pirates where we used to name First and Main. Instead, we'll put oars in until they hit asphalt and traverse passes once reserved for horsepower and hisses, shouting at stoplights instead of easing to a stop. There will be some who don't make it, who can't swim, and they will be lost. We have already lost so many who couldn't fashion rafts out of imagination and what surrounded them in a room, washed away.
But, you and me, we're dreamers; we've seen the flood as our open door and walked boldly out into an inhospitable world to men and women on foot. And, in putting in, we're already saying that there is a river, we are captains, and we'll get to wear hats.

3 comments:

stephen said...

And no one understands me when I say, I want to be a pirate so I can have a street named after me.

I'm glad you understand.

travis said...

you have no idea how much this piece made my chest grow tight. and then laugh. it was a beautiful set of emotions.

Chuck said...

Oh Joel, you and words. A match made in heaven. Not a heaven "up there" full of disembodied spirits, of course.